Scroll down to see all photographs for:

Chapter 26 - Old Towne Petersburg

About a mile northwest of Blandford Church lay Old Towne Petersburg.

 

Because of a fire in 1815, most residents and businesses rebuilt with brick, leaving Petersburg with a historic district noteworthy as any in Virginia.

 

Petersburg most likely would do another phoenix act in the future, prompted by a real estate boom caused by the expansion of Fort Lee to the east.

 

Among these historic buildings, just down from the Siege Museum on Bank Street,

 

was Alexander’s. From the outside, it looked like it was closed, but on the inside it was alive with diners.

Old Towne Petersburg

The Siege Museum

Alexander's Fine Food